Monday was Quit Smoking Day. At 1pm I finished my last ciggie and, armed with water, smints and Nurofen, faced my smoking demon head on.
The rest of the day wasnt too hard although I felt a bit spacey by bedtime. In an effort to distract myself I hopped on the treadmill for half an hour as soon as I got home from work, clocking up 2.5k of running and half an hour all up of running and walking. Yay for 2.5 Exercise Points!
The next morning was tough. I drove for an hour to get to work and then into the office for a stressful day. I took myself off for walks frequently and fought my cravings like a trooper. But golly it was hard work.
By the time I got home I was shattered, emotionally and physically. All I could think about was smoking. I knew it would be tough and that my mind would trick me into 'needing' a cigarette and I held it at bay until just before 7pm.
I became a soggy, weeping mess in the lounge. I was exhausted at the thought of going for another day feeling even remotely like I had been all day.
You guessed it. I caved and went to the shop and bought a pack. Intending of course to "just have 1". 1 turned into 4 when DH went to play golf and forgot to take the evil cigarettes with him.
Words cannot describe how disappointed in myself I am about this. I've called in the reinforcements - Quitline - and am considering hypnotherapy. Clearly I cant do it cold turkey so my patches and gum should arrive soon and I'll tackle it again. I wont let this beat me, but it seems I'll need to fight this war harder than anticipated.
Moving on to more positive news....
I have exercised 4 days in a row now which is MAMMOTH for me at the moment. Sunday was Wii for 20 minutes, Monday was the run, and Tuesday and Wednesday was Wii again for 50 minutes a time. I also tried Wii Boxing for the first time last night and my arms are now killing me. Some mock the power of the Wii, but I think if you are moving and having fun, and end up sweaty with sore muscles, it cant be completely useless!
I'd desperately love to get the EA Sports Active fitness kit, but first I have to convince DH that it will be $100 well spent!
I've also, despite all odds, stuck to my points this week. The only day I went over was Monday and that was only by 1. So far I have a combined total of 10.5 excess points from exercise and those uneaten. We have dinner out tonight and although I have lots of extra points to use, I am hesitant to do so.
I've checked out their online menu, called ahead to make sure I can order fish grilled instead of deep or pan fried, and also plan to have NO FRIES (they come with every meal) and to eat lots and lots of salad from the ever classy Salad Boat.
I've even factored 2 drinks in and despite all this, still have 5 points left for the day PLUS all my saved points.
Success so far. I hope its reflected on the scales tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment