Day 11 of non-smoking (woot!) and have still managed to cut back on alcohol. I've had a few drinks but not every night.
It was DH and I's 2nd wedding anniversary yesterday so points went out the window for the third day in a row. Who wants to spoil the magic of an anniversary when DH tried so hard to make it special! I didn't overdo it with food though, but enjoyed the relaxation (and chocolate mousse cake....)
I've taken some advice from my WW buddies regarding having a few days off. In their words, I've given up a lot over the last few months - meat, my favourite 4 bottle a day drink, smoking and food treats. They said that I need a break. So for the last 3 days I've just been flagging tracking and relaxing a bit. I'm not scoffing down entire pizza's or anything, but if I want another bag of 1 point crackers, so be it.
Its been lovely and although I anticipate a gain on WI day, I wonder if it will actually help get me off the plateau in the end. If I give my body a break for a bit and then get back into the discipline, it may 'shock' it into losses again. I guess we'll see over the next couple of weeks.
I must admit however that I have not been very good with exercise. Make that non-existent. And today I feel like I want to get in there and start back up full hog, but my grandparents have arrived from Oz and are staying with us over the next 2 nights. I will get back into it on Friday when they leave however.
I was looking through the message boards this morning and came across the following post. It makes sense to me, so I am definitely back on board with my tracking as of This Very Second!
I've noticed a bit of a theme where people get to a plateau and this is where negative, damaging thoughts creep in.
Recently I was into the fourth week of either staying the same or being 100g up and getting very frustrated by the whole thing. I talked about it with my GP (who is sensational btw) and I thought I'd share the information she gave me. It helped me get things into perspective and not be worried about things that need to happen. By sharing this, hopefully it might ease the minds of people who think they've got to starve themselves to keep losing.
The way she explained it was that every 10 or so kilos, your body needs to recalibrate so that it knows how much energy it uses and your hormones need to sort themselves out to new levels. It's a bit hard to explain but as I understand it, it is very important for your body to do a stocktake every now and again so that it knows how to continue with more weight loss.
She suggested that I keep on keeping on, doing all the right things... tracking, drinking water etc but maybe increase the exercise a bit and it will pass.
My daughter (who has fought and won the weight battle and is now a Personal Trainer) also told me that there is a thought that if you don't allow your body to plateau every now and again and your food intake goes up, there's a chance you will regain some of the lost weight because your system hasn't established a new “set point” to work to.
Everyone's a bit different of course, some people might find it takes a bit longer than a couple of weeks for their body to get used to its new self.... but it will happen and you'll start losing again.
Recently I was into the fourth week of either staying the same or being 100g up and getting very frustrated by the whole thing. I talked about it with my GP (who is sensational btw) and I thought I'd share the information she gave me. It helped me get things into perspective and not be worried about things that need to happen. By sharing this, hopefully it might ease the minds of people who think they've got to starve themselves to keep losing.
The way she explained it was that every 10 or so kilos, your body needs to recalibrate so that it knows how much energy it uses and your hormones need to sort themselves out to new levels. It's a bit hard to explain but as I understand it, it is very important for your body to do a stocktake every now and again so that it knows how to continue with more weight loss.
She suggested that I keep on keeping on, doing all the right things... tracking, drinking water etc but maybe increase the exercise a bit and it will pass.
My daughter (who has fought and won the weight battle and is now a Personal Trainer) also told me that there is a thought that if you don't allow your body to plateau every now and again and your food intake goes up, there's a chance you will regain some of the lost weight because your system hasn't established a new “set point” to work to.
Everyone's a bit different of course, some people might find it takes a bit longer than a couple of weeks for their body to get used to its new self.... but it will happen and you'll start losing again.
No comments:
Post a Comment